BeatStep is highly versatile, capable of triggering clips in such applications as Ableton Live, it also allows you to play drums in conjunction with such applications as BFD or EZDrummer.
BeatStep is also a 16-step analog sequencer for creating all kinds of musical phrases to be sent to analog synthesizers, MIDI drum machines, MIDI keyboard devices, or computer programs. Its vast connectivity allows you to interface BeatStep with a computer or iPAD using USB, a drum module using MIDI or an analog synthesizer equipped with CV/GATE.
BeatStep is designed to give you the control you need whether it is in conjunction with your favorite DAW or loop triggering software, VST Instrument or Effect, Drum software, DJ application, MIDI synth or even CV/GATE equipped analog gear. The possibilities are nearly endless.
BeatStep fulfills multiple requirements for a wide variety of musicians. It is a true chameleon in that it can become many things to many people. No other compact pad controller on the market offers this level of control along with a step sequencer at such an amazing price.
Beatstep's 16 pads are both pressure and velocity sensitive which means that they allow you to capture the nuances of your performance. Beastep is the perfect control surface for producers and percussionists using iPads or software instruments such as BFD, Kontakt, Live's Drum Rack, EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums, Geist or Reason Kong.
BeatStep goes beyond the typical pad controller functions by adding a step sequencer. This opens it up for people who are using either MIDI modules, CV/GATE synths like the MiniBrute or MicroBrute and also to people using plug-ins on their computer via USB. While your sequence is playing switch to Controller mode and use the pads and knobs to enable and disable effects or tweek filters, attack and decay times on plug-ins, etc. BeatStep will allow you to create new ideas and add to your live performances in unlimited ways.
Wether you use Ableton Live, Traktor, Serato or any other DJ/clip playback software, the Beatstep pads are perfect for launching samples or enabling effects. The 16 encoders give you lots of possibilities of mapping them to eq's, filters, delays and other performance effects. BeatStep makes a stylish and portable companion to your other DJ control surfaces.
Beatstep is the perfect solution for stage performers looking for a solution to send Midi messages and control changes to their hardware gear and workstations. Thanks to the included Midi Control Center, mapping Beatstep to your needs becomes a breeze.
With 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads, BeatStep is the perfect compact solution for playing percussion. The ultra sensitive pads allow for great dynamic performances. The 16 encoders can be assigned to adjust parameters that allow further real-time control over your drum sounds. Add to this the 16 user presets and you can have controller setups for all occasions.
The Step sequence mode turns BeatStep into a completely different product. A step sequencer is the most basic type of music sequencer. They were popular in the 1960's and 70's. They have come back into fashion with the popularity of modular synthesizers. There are examples of step sequencers in our Arp2600 V, Modular V, and Jupiter 8 V software.
In SEQ mode, the pads and encoders work together to set and enable steps in a sequence and set pitches for each step.
By simply pressing a pad, it will enable or disable the current step in a melodic pattern. With a few presses, you are creating and changing up musical patterns in real-time.
BeatStep allows for 16 sequences to be stored in memory and recalled instantly. This allows you to play multiple patterns and create your own songs.
Setting pitches on a step sequencer can be difficult, to allow you to find the notes you want we added scale modes that quantize the pitches of the encoders to a specific set of notes. This means that instead of having the encoders move up and down chromatically like most step sequencers, you can set BeatStep so that you will only be allowed to pick notes that belong to the scale you want to work in. Look ma, no wrong notes!
- Programming with potentiometers (no endless-dial and no detent)
- Only one track
- No pattern-storage
- No internal clock (only usable as MIDI-slave)
- No display
It is optimized for live use, especially jam-sessions, but can also be used to give you new ideas, if you are stuck in your main sequencer.
- All settings can be changed while it's running.
- 2 x 8-step-pattern, that can be used alternatively or chained to a 16-step-pattern.
- Normally the pattern changes, when the one that is played ends. With a special "jump"-button it is possible to jump from one pattern to the other immediately without loosing synchronization.
- It is possible to edit the pattern that is playing or edit the other pattern.
- LEDs next to the potentiometers display after changing the pattern, if the position of the potentiometer is corresponding to the used value. If not, the position of the potentiometer is not used and the LED stays dark until the potentiometer passed the used value.
- One pattern can be copied to the other.
- Several steps can be put together, to get different note-lenths in one sequence.
- The first step can be adjusted (independently for each pattern, to make it possible to get sequences with odd numbers of steps, that are bigger than 7 steps (e.g. 13 steps).
- The last step can be adjusted (independently for each pattern, to make it possible to get sequences with odd numbers of steps, that are bigger than 7 steps (e.g. 13 steps).
- The clock-divider can be set in 8 steps (1/1 to 1/32).
- The velocity can be set in 7 steps (1 to 127).
- The 8th position for velocity is a mode, where a random number is created for each step and used as velocity.
- The range that can be programmed with the potentiometers (from full anticlockwise to full clockwise), can be set in 7 steps (13 notes to 128 notes).
- The 8th position for range is a mode, where the same note is played for every step and the potentiometers are used to program pitchbend. This makes it possible to program patterns, that are not pitch-quantized in halftone-steps. Because pitchbend is interpreted different from synthesizer to synthesizer, the maximum range that can be programmed, depends on the used synthesizer.
- The lowest note can be set in 8 steps to transpose (C0 bis C7).
- The gate-length can be set in 16 steps. The highest value makes the last note end after the new note starts to get a legato-effect.
- It is possible to generate two additional notes by setting their interval to the note set by the potentiometers. You get up to 3-voice polyphonic patterns similar to things done with "chord memory".
- The sequencer can be pushed forward or backward a step or midi-clock-tick (same as audiowerkstatt midi-clock-shifter ).
- If you got lost (e.g. after changing clock-divider, first- or last-step), you can restart the sequencer without stopping the master (same as audiowerkstatt midi-restarter ).
- All settings can be changed while the sequencer is running and all settings are stored after powering down.
It is a MIDI controller and makes no sound of its own - it connects to a synthesizer/sampler/DAW via MIDI or USB.
The NSC-32 can play multiple sequences (patterns) simultaneously. Typically each pattern will be responsible for a different section of the music. For example: one pattern for drums, one pattern for bass and one pattern for chords.
Note sequences are visually displayed on the note grid and can be modified by pressing the cells on the note grid. The individual notes are represented as blue illuminated cells. Notes can be selected, copied, moved and pasted using the control functions.
A vertical green step cursor will move across the note grid at a speed determined by the BPM set. When the step cursor lands on a note, it will play that note. Similarly, when the cursor moves off a note, it will stop playing that note.
Sequences can be played (cued) and stopped in sync with the master clock.
Sequences can be stored in permanent storage for later use. The NSC-32 can store up to 768 sequences. Each cell on the note grid behaves as a save location. This means you can visually group different sets of presets on the grid based on category.
*For instruction manual, please visit - http://misa-digital.myshopify.com/pages/nsc-32-instruction-manual
Seq is its own computing centre, hardware- and software- optimized to manage given tasks in the most effective way, without latency or glitches. Immediate responsiveness creates a synergy between the musician and the tool. It's an inspiration right from the very first step.
Intuitive to use hardware step sequencer. 32 steps, 8 track polyphony, 256 pattern storage - all enclosed within the highest quality aluminium and wooden housing. Multiple connections give you the freedom to play with your hardware and software devices. It's designed for you to be inspired and, most importantly, fully enjoy the process of creation. Seq is all you need for the way you make music today.
The heart of your creativity:
Equipped with a wide array of inputs and outputs, allowing you to communicate freely with other devices of every era and genre. Lets you feed tracks with MIDI notes using your favourite MIDI controller. Every track can be recorded step by step or in real time and then quantized independently.
With two MIDI outputs, you can connect rhythm and sound machines simultaneously. You choose where to send out the signal from every track, and if that's not enough, you can also use the USB port for the same purpose.
Big step forward in design:
The use of oak and aluminium - materials of timeless quality - allowed Polyend to avoid the need for any flashy details, making what remains even more elegant in its simplicity. Seq buttons are made of silicone with specially matched density and firmness. Their shape, size, and arrangement were chosen carefully to provide an instant and explicit response. Most of the parameters and values can be read from the Seq interface at a glance. For the rest of them, Polyend provide a bright and sharp screen. Minimalistic, stripped down from any distractions, it brings all the information you need in any performing conditions you meet.